Notice of Special general meeting to amend the Club’s financial reporting date.
The Eltham Wildcats Basketball Club (incorporated) advises all members of a Special general meeting, in accordance with rules 27, 29 and 30 of the Club’s Statement of Rules, to be conducted on:
Monday 04 December 2023 at 7:30pm by Zoom meeting.
The purpose of the meeting is to vote on the following motion:
That the Financial year reporting date specified in rule 3 of the club’s Statement of Rules (currently 31st March each year) be changed to 30th June of each year.
Moved: Chris Mullins (Chair Finance Committee, member General Committee)
Seconded: David Hickman (Life Member, member Finance Committee, member General Committee)
This motion has been recommended by the Finance Committee at its meeting on 16th October 2023 and has been unanimously endorsed by the General Committee at its meeting on 23rd October 2023.
The reasons for this proposed change are:
– The current date does not facilitate budgeting before the start of the financial year, given the challenges associated with the timing of the Eltham Dandenong Junior Basketball Tournament and the variable timing of Easter.
– The current date occurs around the cross-over between the Summer and Winter seasons of the EDJBA competition (which, being aligned to school term 1, may occur at either the end of one Club financial year or the beginning of the next), creating anomalies from year to year.
– The current date does not align with Australian Taxation Office, WorkCover reporting requirements or Victorian Payroll Tax years, causing additional workload.
The consequences that the change will have are:
– There will be one 15-month financial year, making financial reporting more complex for the first year.
– The Club’s Annual general meeting would be moved to late October or November of each year. This falls within the requirements of rule 26 (1) of the Statement of Rules.
– The terms of the following General Committee members would be automatically extended until the next Annual general meeting, in late October or November:
In accordance with the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012, the Club is required to conduct a Special general meeting of its members and obtain the approval of 75% of those voting. Upon approval, the Club will lodge the amended Statement of Rules with Consumer Affairs Victoria and await its approval.
The Club wishes to have this amendment in place prior to 31st March 2024 so that the end of the current financial year will be moved to 30th June 2024.
The General Committee urges members to register their interest in attending the Zoom meeting by clicking this link or going to the Club’s website and registering there, if you do not wish to follow this emailed link:
Link to registration of interest: https://www.cognitoforms.com/ElthamWildcats/_2023SpecialGeneralMeeting
Those members registering their interest will be sent the meeting link one week prior to the meeting. Late registrations will be accepted until immediately prior to the commencement of the meeting.
By resolution of the General Committee
Peter Meehan Narelle Kent
13 November 2023 13 November 2023